Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Livestock & Adrift

Visiting Livestock for their annual summer sale has been a tradition for me ever since Grade 10. Waiting in a street wear line definitely feels lame at times, but I guess it's a part of the "experience." Finding very few products I was really interested in buying two years in a row, I guess gives an indication of how far my tastes have changed over the years. But streetwear is where it all began for me, and it will always be a part of my creative outlook.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_N0KzDsgJx1w/TDKSQVrouaI/AAAAAAAABc8/a0bTDCfc_pI/s1600/IMG_3877.JPG
I think this feeling of changing tastes has been shared by a lot of other people as well, especially this year more than last. The lines outside the Livestock sale seem to get smaller every year, and the prices keep getting lower. I find that strange since I see a lot more people wearing labels like The Hundreds and Stussy. But I guess a boutique like Livestock still gets left under the radar, as it is a cultural hub for like-minded people, and I guess the popularity of streetwear labels has been able to reach beyond those like-minded people via the internet. All that comes at a cost I guess.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_N0KzDsgJx1w/TDKSQzkd_4I/AAAAAAAABdE/DLYZ9QtF_6I/s1600/IMG_3874.JPG
The shoes were extremely well priced bottoming out at like $40. There were a rack of $10 and $20 tees. IdeaLL, Maharishi, Mishka, and UNDFTD were all sitting at that $10 rack, but there was nothing in my size that I liked. A bunch of shorts were $30 or $35 including stuff from The Hundreds, Reigning Champ, and Stussy. A lot of hoodies were $50 I think. The BBC and Icecream shoes were going for like $70 or $80, and the Nom De Guerre x Adidas collab was selling for around the same price too. I was considering buying Alife's spin-off of the Common Projects tennis shoe, but decided not to. I think it was like 10% off, b/c it's still like a new arrival or something. I ended up just getting a wool Alife New Era fitted. I don't wear fitteds much, or hats a lot anymore for that matter, but I guess black hats are easier to pull off whenever I do need a hat. Anyways, a lot of the sale prices continue on throughout the summer. You might want to stop by now if you need anything.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_N0KzDsgJx1w/TDKSRQ3JcxI/AAAAAAAABdM/2XYm58caXjQ/s1600/IMG_3876.JPG
What would a trip to Livestock be without a visit to its friendly neighbour Adrift. I always love visiting their store. It's so spacious, it carries the raddest skate shoes, an interesting collection of deadstock snapbacks, the randomest sample sales, and owner is like the nicest lady ever. They were really working in the more hipster-friendly pieces into their clothing sections. Naked & Famous chambray shirts, maturely blended v-necks from all over the skateboarding map, Cheap Monday bottoms, and their normal staple of WeSC jeans.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_N0KzDsgJx1w/TDKSR9ih2AI/AAAAAAAABdU/ZFNRTh4HpHw/s1600/IMG_3879.JPG
This might be the last time I see these places in a while as I'm moving away for university, but they will be missed dearly. They were definitely an important part of my adolescence and Livestock was the one that introduced me to The Hundreds, which would eventually lead me into the fascinating world of creative culture. I have nothing but gratitude for these two truly Canadian retail build-outs.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_N0KzDsgJx1w/TDKSSJiVZZI/AAAAAAAABdc/bMEJUqE6Ikc/s1600/IMG_3878.JPG
Anyways, continuing on with the Toronto Chapter, a post on the United Front Building will be arriving on this little web space next.

No comments: