Friday, March 19, 2010

Yorkville Shopping In March Continued

So picking up from last time, I left Uncle Otis and went just around the corner to Yorkville's favourite independent sneaker spots Capsule and North Trooper. As I was about to enter Capsule, I noticed North Trooper seemed to be closed. Upon further inspection, I was shocked to see the building was cleared out. Gone. Abandoned. Very likely due to the horrid economic situation that businesses are beginning to recover from now. North Trooper was a boutique that remained true to the genuine sneaker community. It regularly held sneaker displays, exhibits, and exchanges. I believe it was one of Toronto's few sneaker consignment boutiques. In addition to carrying some of the rarest kicks this city had to offer, it was always stocked with awesome streetwear offerings like The Quiet Life, Sixpack France, and Undefeated. North Trooper, rest in peace. For now. I hope one day, I'll see you make a comeback.
IMG_2236 by alltheplaidmemories.
Their neighbour Capsule was still alive and buzzing though. During the summer, Capsule has always been one of my favourite stops in Yorkville. They always have a solid streetwear stocklist, decent summer sales, and friendly Asian service, haha.

This time around they had a 40% off rack, but it was all KIKS TKYO tees along with some 3sixteen, Crooks & Castles, and 10 Deep button ups, and hoodies from Mishka and The Hundreds. They also had a sneaker sale going on they had a $65 shelf with various The Hundreds and New Balance sneakers, along with a $75 and $85 sneaker shelves as well. I just realized they carry Alife sneakers and apparel as well. I've noticed Alife has relaxed their picky distribution list up here in Canada after the recession's hit. Oh, and I also saw the P-Rod Incase backpack there too.
IMG_2233 by alltheplaidmemories.
After I was finished up at Capsule, I headed up towards Bloor Street. On the way up, I planned to stop by the infamous Goodfoot Yorkville. I always thought of this Goodfoot as a full out United Front buildout for Yorkvillians stocked with a decent selection of footwear and apparel almost as comprehensive as Richmond's "Nomad, Goodfoot, Ransom, and Stussy" powerhouse.
IMG_2256 by alltheplaidmemories.
They always had friendly service and a lovely candle burning in house. But as I walked by this is what I saw.
IMG_2247 by alltheplaidmemories.
At first I didn't believe it, I walked under the bus stop looking up at the storefront sign. This can't be Goodfoot Yorkville. But it was.
IMG_2251 by alltheplaidmemories.IMG_2254 by alltheplaidmemories.
This "Sandwich Box" thing was taking over.
IMG_2248 by alltheplaidmemories.
NOOOOOOOO!!! Goodbye Goodfoot Yorkville. I hope you too, will rest in peace.
IMG_2252 by alltheplaidmemories.
I then headed down Bloor Street and hit up the best stocked Holt Renfrew in the world.
IMG_2272 by alltheplaidmemories.
They're storefront display showcased their new seasonal campaign. Something about being watched and exposed. Haha. The Yorkdale location had the same type of thing going on.
IMG_2258 by alltheplaidmemories.IMG_2261 by alltheplaidmemories.
The lower concourse level is where all the good stuff is at. The footwear section is just at the foot of the escalator. They carry Red Wings and Yuketen boat shoes. Yuketen is really expensive, eek. Anyways, they were really pushing the chambray and oxford woven pieces this season. The first displays there to greet you were the more youthful labels like Smooth Co, Warriors of Radness, A.P.C., Wings + Horns, K-Way, and a variety of other labels that have slipped my mind. The really high end section also had killer displays from Balenciaga, Rag & Bone, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Neil Barrett, and John Varvatos. While browsing the higher end stuff, I discovered a really awesome up and coming Toronto label called Ezra Constantine. It has a very post-apocalypitc/gothic feel, I guess very similar to the fashion genre that encompasses labels like Rick Owens and Julius.
IMG_2266 by alltheplaidmemories.
After that, I made my stops at Zara, H&M, and Gap where I saw a crewneck sweater I kind of liked. Its cotton blend was very similar to the Wings + Horns hoodie I wanted to buy at Uncle Otis, and it was going for $50. I'll wait for it to go on sale. Stuff at Gap always goes on sale, haha. By the time I finished up at Gap, time had run out and it was time for me to go home. As I walked back to the subway station at The Bay, I stopped by American Apparel to pick up the little lookbook.nu booklet that I thought they would have there. I asked a girl that worked there, and she didn't really know what I was talking about. Sad Tings. :(

No comments: