Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Toronto Skateshops

So as I said in my last post, this past weekend I was in Toronto looking for a new skateboard. So I'm back to tell you what I saw. I don't remember everything since I was only looking for specifics that I wanted. For a deck, I was looking for either a Chad Tim Tim deck, a 5boro deck, a DGK deck and possibly Adrift's shop deck. Trucks, I was looking for Grind Kings or Silvers and wheels I was looking for Hubba's or Ricta's. So I'll give a little review of each of the skateshops I visited.

Adrift has a small deck collection from brands like Chocolate, Creature, Girl, Zoo York, and Plan B. I actually wanted to get a shop deck from this store, however their truck collection didn't hold what I wanted. They only had Ventures and a couple Royals. However, Adrift has my favorite apparel and shoe collection out of all the skateshops in Toronto, fitted more to the streetwear enthusiast. Their pro complete package prices just over $175, before tax. However, if you push cash, you might catch a taxless purchase.


























So Hip It Hurts is one of the more popular skateshops in Toronto. Located on Queen Street West, it houses one of the biggest deck collections in Toronto, with excessive amounts of shop decks. They didn't however have a Chad Tim Tim deck. Their truck collection is decent, but I don't think it as good as Hogtown's. They have the cheapest pro complete package at $190 including tax, beating Hogtown's price by a bit over $2, after considering tax.





















































Noise is a skateshop with a collection of clothing, shoes and skate hardware, all in brightly coloured and trendy designs. Their small deck collection includes brands like Listen, Stereo, Chocolate, and Cliche (i think). I didn't catch any prices.












Hogtown was probably the best skateshop in downtown. It had the second cheapest pro complete package at $169 before tax, with the best and widest range of decks from a large variety of skateboard companies. They had an incredible range of DGK decks. This is where I decided to buy my skateboard. They were the only skateshop that sold a Chad Tim Tim deck, which was what I was looking for. (Sidenote: Chad Tim Tim is my favourite skater, he's half Asian and used to skate for Stussy and Popwar) They also had a very good truck collection. However, their collection of wheels was not that great. They had a ton of Spitfires, which is what I ended up getting. However they only had like 4 Ricta's, some Momentums, and Bones wheels. If you're kinda lazy, this skateshop might not be for you. They have a wall full of displayed decks, yet they had so many decks, they keep the remainder of them lined up in boxes behind the desk. Each brand has its own box full of decks (priced at $70). They have two full sale boxes of $50 decks from companies like Listen, Element, and Girl.


































And if you thought West49's pro completes were cheaper, you're wrong. Their $190 before tax, actually more expensive than all these skateshops I visited in Toronto. That's one more reason to support the independents.


My Skateboard:





































Deck: Element Featherlight- Abstract Series- Chad Tim Tim Pro Model


























Trucks: Silver S-Class (Special Edition Canada Model)








































Wheels: Spitfire Lighterers- Marc Johnson- 52 mm
Bearings: Generic Abec 7
Griptape: unsure

No comments: