Thursday, August 27, 2009

Behind The Scenes of the "Successful" Music Video

Drake&TreyOnSet

This post has been a long time coming. I saw it when Ransom just posted it on their blog, but never got the time to put my opinions down here. Many people really disliked the Kanye-directed music video for Drake's "Best I Ever Had". At first I was a little disappointed. It was just not something I expected, but I guess that's what Kanye does best. Throwing the "unexpected" out there. That's where progress thrives best. Am I saying this video was groundbreaking and progressive. No, but Kanye had the right idea. However, the video did eventually grow on me. The humour points however, did strike immediately for me.
So about the "Successful" shoot. "Successful" was definitely one of my favourite songs in the whole mixtape. This video was directed by the great Jake Davis. The same dude that did the Lou Reed shots for the Supreme campaign. Davis' description of the set's vibe was nothing short of jaw dropping. "Nothing like hearing "Successful" blast through the city streets at 3am on a process trailer while fans run and scream in tow."
Trey and 40 were undoubtedly on set too, not to mention INQMND's and United Front's very own Oliver El-Khatib, who apparently did an incredible job laying out a stylish wardrobe for the video including pieces from Barbour, Comme des Garcons, Red Wing, V::Room, and Canada's very own Ransom, Wings + Horns and Klaxon Howl. Oliver's vision according to Davis was "classic heritage done with a gritty, modern edge." All I can do now is wait and expect the best.

If you wanna check out some behind the scenes footage... head on to HERE, HERE or HERE. And for a 30 second preview of the video (in reduced video quality), head right HERE.

No comments: